Rosacea is caused by skin inflammation. The obvious appearance of blood vessels, bumps, redness, flushing, dry and flaky skin are some of the common symptoms of this condition. If you are diagnosed with this condition, you need to choose a lotion that is rich in moisture content.
According to Jennifer Herrmann, MD, FAAD at Moy Fincher Chipps Facial Plastic Surgery and Dermatology in Beverley Hills, rosacea can make your skin barriers weak; therefore, keeping your skin moisturized is necessary at all times. This moisture content will strengthen the skin’s barriers and keep allergens and irritants at bay.
The best solution, in this case, is to find a best lotion for rosacea that will keep your skin well-hydrated without producing any allergens or irritants. With so many options available in the market, you may finding it difficult to pick best moisturizers for rosacea? Don’t worry; we checked about the same with leading dermatologists. We present to you their suggestions in the following sections.
Yes, you cannot get rid of rosacea permanently with moisturize only; however, you can definitely control the inflammations by staying away from the usual triggers, and by following a proper rosacea skincare routine.
Table of Contents
Best Over the Counter Face Cream for Rosacea
Here is the list of the best over-the-counter face cream for rosacea that expert dermatologists have recommended, to help you handle your rosacea-related problems.
Best in the Overall Category
Cetaphil Redness Relieving Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 20
The following reasons makes it the best moisturizer for rosacea in 2023:
- This moisturizer will keep your dry skin well -hydrated which in turn controls the redness.
- The moisturizer comes with SPF 20 so it will prevents your skin from damage due to sunburns.
- Thanks to its tinted formula, It gives you an even tone, by minimalizing the appearance of red patches.
- It has a Mineral-based formula that is free from allergens such as fragrances, parabens and phthalates
- This is a Non-comedogenic moisturizer, means it do not cause blocked pores and it is also been certified by leading dermatologists.
With its UVA/UVB protection, this is one of the best over-the-counter face creams for rosacea. For best results, you can complete your skincare routine with products such as Cetaphil Foaming Face Wash and Cetaphil Redness-Relieving Night Moisturizer to prevent dryness of the skin.
Dendy Engelman, MD, says that people with rosacea should consult their dermatologist frequently. This will help them get personalized-treatment for their skin problems, as moisturizers alone won’t help in this case. Dendy strongly recommends this moisturizer from Cetaphil for controlling the redness from rosacea.
How to Apply?
Apply a generous dose of this moisturizer on your face, at least 15 minutes before you go out in sun. Ensure that you use a sunscreen that is resistant to water, if you sweat profusely or if you plan to go swimming. Keep reapplying at least once every 2 hours, to keep your skin hydrated and supple.
Also Check: Best Korean Sheet Face Masks
Best Moisturizer for Rosacea in the Budget Category
Well if you are tight on budget and still needs a best product for your rosacea, I have got you covered. Go with the following:
Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream
Following are reasons why it is the best moisturizer for rosacea within the budget:
- It doesn’t contain any artificial dyes, fragrances, parabens, lanolin and formaldehyde.
- It Serves multiple purposes such as cream, moisturizer, night cream and massage lotion; safe to be used on the face, hands and body.
- The Vanicream is Tried & Tested by top dermatologists and considered safe by the National Eczema Association.
- It also doesn’t clog your skin’s pores.
How to Apply?
You must apply this cream on your face, hands and body immediately after swimming, bathing or exposure to the sun. You can also apply it beforehand to prevent damage from overexposure to wind & cold.
Since it is free from allergens, it is considered as one of the best over the counter face creams for rosacea in the budget category. Though it doesn’t contain any fragrances, different batches of creams may contain different aromas. It has the potential to treat inflamed skin, and make it soft again.
Best Moisturizer for Rosacea in the “Rich Cream Category”
Weleda Skin Food Ultra-Rich Cream
If you are looking for one of the best moisturizers for rosacea for dry & flaky skin, this product is the right choice for you:
- Safe to be used on the face and body
- Makes skin soft, supple and rejuvenated, thanks to its ultra-rich, silky texture
- Made from sunflower oil that fortifies your skin and pansy extract that is loaded with skin-friendly nutrients
- Works as an excellent primer for long-lasting makeup, thanks to its incredible ingredients such as beeswax and plant-based oils
- Can be used on hair as well to keep frizz at bay and moisturize the dull strands
- Provides extra nourishment and prevents hands and cuticles from becoming dry
How to Apply?
You can use Weleda Skin Food cream as many times in a day as possible to get excellent relief from the dryness of skin in the areas such as elbows, hands and feet. Lather generous doses of this cream on your skin during each application for best results.
Known for its ultra-soft, rich texture, this is one of the best moisturizers for rosacea. Yes, it doesn’t cure redness, but it provides immense relief from dryness and inflammation of the skin. You need to use this regularly to make our skin soft & supple again.
Best Moisturizer for Rosacea in the Non-Comedogenic Category
EltaMD AM Therapy Facial Moisturizer
Why is this considered one of the best over-the-counter face creams for Rosacea? Keep reading to know the answer to this:
- Moisturizes, smoothens, brightens and regulates the overall skin tone
- Helps to improve the natural water-production potential of the skin
- Great for sensitive skin, as it is free from oils, fragrances and comedogenic substances
- You can use it with all sunscreen lotions from EltaMD
- Clinically tested by the US Sunscreen-dispensing dermatologists
If you have rosacea, you should choose gentle, non-inflammatory and hypoallergenic moisturizers. It is highly recommended that you choose non-comedogenic products; they don’t block your pores, thereby preventing the formation of pimples & acne, a by-product of rosacea. Choosing creams that are free from artificial fragrances is a great idea.
How to Apply?
Apply a pearl-sized amount of cream on damp skin and spread gently.
Best Moisturizer for Rosacea in the Day Cream Category
CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM With Sunscreen
This moisturizer helps to keep your skin hydrated for a long time. It helps to improve the immunity of skin barriers. It comes with an SPF 30 formula, thereby making it safe for daily use.
CeraVe is one of the best moisturizers for rosacea because it is the top-recommended brand by expert dermatologists. CeraVe makes detailed skincare routine products such as cleansers and moisturizers. All of CeraVe’s skincare products contain the three essential ceramides (1, 3 and 6-II) and are developed using patented technology for strengthening your skin’s protective barriers.
How to Apply?
- Spread generous amounts at least 15 minutes before you go out in the sun.
- Repeat once every 2 hours.
- Use sunscreens that are resistant to water if you are swimming or sweat profusely.
- Check with a doctor before using for babies under 6 months.
Best Moisturizer for Rosacea in the Serum Category
La Roche-PosayRosaliac Intense Visible Redness Reducing Serum
This serum helps to reduce your skin redness to a large extent, thanks to its effective ingredients such as ambophenol, La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water and light-reflecting agents. It gives your skin a light & fresh feel. Since it is free from parabens, preservatives, fragrances, alcohol and colorants, it is extremely safe for sensitive skin. You can use this as a mild cleansing agent daily.
How to Apply?
- Keep your skin soft and supple by using this light moisturizer daily.
- You can use it once or twice a day on redness-impacted areas; the serum gets absorbed immediately into your skin as it doesn’t contain any oils.
Today, moisturizers with plant-based agents are highly popular, because they are highly effective on sensitive skin. This serum, too, contains a botanical agent called ambophenol to keep skin-redness at bay. Though it is labeled as a serum, you can use it as a standalone moisturizer or along with some of the other best moisturizers for rosacea.
Best Moisturizer in the Night Cream Category
CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM
Considered as one of the best over-the-counter face creams for Rosacea because:
- Like all other skincare products from CeraVe, this one, too, contains the three essential ceramides (1, 3 and 6-II) that help to keep your skin hydrated for a long time, apart from strengthening the protective barriers of your skin
- The other two important ingredients of this cream are hyaluronic acid (for long moisture retention) and niacinamide (to provide the calming effect).
- Non-comedogenic product that is free from oils & fragrances
- Ultra-light texture and gentle cream that is safe for sensitive skin as well
How to Apply?
Spread a generous amount of cream on the face and neck regions at night, or as per your physician’s recommendations.
According to experts, this is one of the best nighttime moisturizers for rosacea because it contains the calming ingredient of niacinamide. However, for this to work well, you have to use it along with your cleanser.
You should never treat rosacea the same way you treat acne. In the case of rosacea, the skin is highly inflammable. Also, the skin’s alpha, beta and hydroxy acids can cause a lot of irritation. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you use rosacea-specific cleansers & moisturizers for best results.
Best Moisturizer for Rosacea in the SPF category
Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer SPF 15
- Helps to calm dry, inflamed and sensitive skin
- Brings about a balance in dry skin and reduces redness considerably within a week of application
- Unique ingredient combination of Calming Feverfew and Nourishing Oats, which provide great relief to sensitive skin
- SPF15 formula provides Broad Spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- Tested by top dermatologists and certified as non-comedogenic & hypoallergenic
- Lightweight texture enables quick absorption in the skin
- Free from oils; therefore you can use it daily
How to Apply?
- Apply generous amounts of cream on the affected areas 15 minutes before stepping out in the sun
- Reapply at least once in every 2 hours; highly recommended to reapply after 80 minutes of swimming or excessive sweating
- Reapply immediately after you have towel-dried your face
Best Natural Moisturizer for Rosacea
Naturopathica Calendula Essential Hydrating Cream
Wesley, a top dermatologist, recommends this excellent calendula cream that is full of natural ingredients. She suggests this cream for all her rosacea patients, if they aren’t allergic to the components. Since it is a natural cream, it provides a soothing effect on your skin.
How to Apply?
Spread a reasonable amount of cream on the face and neck regions at night, or as per your physician’s recommendations.
Can you use vitamin C serum with Rosacea?
Yes, You can use Vitamin C serum on rosacea prone skin. The Dr. Julie Russak a Dermatologist With Rosacea recommends using the THD ascorbate variation Vitamin C serums. The THD Ascorbate Vitamin c serum will be gentle on your rosacea skin and it will repair and protect your skin from irritation.
One great serum with THD ascorbate is “Covey Vitamin C serum”.
I would recommend you to avoid using the Vitamin C serums that contains L-Ascorbic Acid at 20%. It will be sensitizing.
How to choose a right rosacea-specific sunscreen?
According to dermatologists, you need to follow these tips to choose the right, rosacea-friendly sunscreen:
- Sunscreen that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and silicone
- Should be free from all toxic elements and fragrances
- Should have an SPF30 or higher formula offering you a broad-spectrum protection
- Avoid buying sunscreen that contains alcohol, fragrances, camphor, glycolic and lactic acids, menthol, sodium laurel sulfate and urea
- Always use a cream instead of lotion or gel to avoid irritation
- Avoid using astringents or toners on your skin
5 Tips to control rosacea flare-ups
Here are some tips recommended by Dr. Elizabeth Tanzi, MD, the founder and director of Capital Laser & Skin Care, to prevent & avoid symptoms related to rosacea:
- Using very gentle products that have the right pH balance
- Preventing the use of hot tubs or steams
- Avoiding washing your face with hot water
- Always washing face with lukewarm water
- Keeping rosacea triggers at bay; these include exposure to the sun, cold weather & strong winds, consuming alcohol & caffeine and stress
How to wash your face when you have rosacea?
- Always use very gentle, rosacea-specific cleansers twice a day
- Use your fingertips to apply the cleanser on your face in a circular movement
- Rinse cleanser thoroughly with lukewarm water; ensure you use only your fingertips in this process
- Use a clean, soft and cotton towel to pat-dry your face gently