My mom always puts her flower bouquets outside during night (the fact that it is chilly outside all year long where they live helps I guess) and is convinced that this is just the best method to keep them fresh longer. When I saw this test done by Apartment Therapy, I thought I need to share it with you guys…
Important to know is:
- All the bouquets were purchased at the same grocery store at one time, so likely from the same source.
- Each vase was washed in hot soapy water to remove any lingering dirt or bacteria.
- All flower ends were cut at an angle before placing in vases.
- Each vase has 1/2 liter of cool tap water.
- Water was topped up, if necessary, each day and everything was completely freshened on day 3.
Now for the different methods — there are lots of options out there to try but these were 5 of the most common were tested:
ASPIRIN: 1 crushed tablet per liter
THEORY: mimics effects of traditional flower food
BLEACH: 2 caps full per liter
THEORY: kills mold & bacteria
FRIDGE: placed in fridge over night each day
THEORY: like fruits & veg, keeps them fresh
CIDER VINEGAR (AND SUGAR): 2 tsp cider vinegar + 2 tsp sugar per liter
THEORY: encourages buds to open and last longer