I adore Berlin so when my friend V. told me she was going there for 5 weeks, I jumped on the occasion and went to visit her for 2 days. Berlin for me, could be the equivalent of New York in Europe. It is vibrant, full of energy, a prefect mix of cultures and nationalities.
We stayed at a hotel in Mitte that is one of my favorite areas in the city, filled with vintage shops, bars, restaurants and kebab stands (the best kebabs in the world are to be found in Berlin as the city has the biggest Turkish community outside of Turkey!). From there, you can walk to the Dom, Unter den Linden and Alexanderplatz.
Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg
Görlitzerstrasse in Kreuzberg
The next day, I went for a long walk on the K’Damm (Kurfürstendamm) and strolled around the KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens) (they have the craziest food mart on the 6th floor!) and then met my friend for a drink in the Zoologischer Garten (right accross the train station that has the same name). It was really nice to be sitting in the middle of nature to take a break before going back into the city jungle…
S-Bahn Station at Hackescher Markt
10 must Do’s and See in Berlin
1. Eating a curry Wurst, a Kebab (or Falafel if you are a vegetarian) and a bretzel are a MUST
2. Walk around in Mitte (and check out the second hand shops!)
3. Take the elevator in the Fernsehturm (television tower) to enjoy a breathtaking view over the city
4. Visit the Checkpoint Charlie Museum
5. Go out in Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain: (get off at Warschauerstrasse Station (S-Bahn) or Schlesisches Tor (U-Bahn) and walk around Simon-Dach Strasse (Friedrichshain) and Görlitzerstrasse (Kreuzberg)).
6. Drink a Berliner Kindl beer in the Zoo Garten
7. Have a fresh shrimp cocktail on the 6th floor of the KaDeWe
8. Check out the Helmut Newton Foundation
9. Walk from the Dom up to the Brandenburger Tor (Unter den Linden – check out the Humboldt University)
10. Shop on Friedrichstrasse